Forum Archive :
As some of you know I write a column for the Gammonitis newsletter
interviewing top players from a human interest perspective. I got to
thinking that interviews with some of the top women players in the world
might be interesting. But I don't know who they are.
In no particular order:
Carol Joy Cole
Who else? I don't know many of the European women's games. Probably
Maria Krancheva (Bulgaria) and
Pia Jeppesen (Denmark)
are very strong. AFAIK, there has never been a female Giant. I believe
is the highest woman on the all-time ABT list at #92. Aside from those
already mentioned, women in the top 150 ABT include
Leslie Lockett(?), and
I don't know how many "top women" you are looking for, but I am not sure
if any of these belong on the list. There are some very strong Japanese
women, but I don't know their names.
Mislav Radica writes:
Katie Scalamandre from USA
who was World Champion for 2000 in Monte Carlo.
was a semifinalist in 1989.
Alan Laverty writes:
If you're interested in ancient history,
was the 1981 world champion, beating Joe Dwek in the finals.
Lee Genud and
are two I thought of, but forgot to mention. A more serious omission is
who probably does belong on the short list.
DBgF Rating List Top 200:
Tanja Lewis, #86
Melania Starzak, #88
Pia Jeppesen, #97
Marianne Petersen, #127
Inge Christoffersen, #133
Anne Dahlin, #148
Lise Nielsen, #181
Ola Jørgensen, #182
NBGF Rating List Top 40:
Hanna Nilsson, #10
Martha Gjelseth, #20
BIBA All-time Rating List Top 40:
Rachel Rhodes, #7
Steve Mellen writes:
My good friend
is an exceptional backgammon player. I suppose she sticks to bridge
The gang here did an excellent job of providing you with names. Here are
a couple of young ladies I don't see.
Filomila Karantzali of Greece
I believe she played in at least one World Championship
Scarlett Serrero of France
She has done really well in events in the last year and a half; she's
the daughter of Michel Serrero.
Ladies from the UK, some very strong ones, are:
Liz Barker and
There's plenty more.
Jeanne Nanga of Cameroon,
Ingeborg Haussleiter of Germany,
Maria Grigis of Italy,
Inge Pfettrisch of Germany and
Andrea Riebler of Austria.
Sam Pottle writes:
> There are some very strong Japanese women, but I don't know their
Maik Stiebler writes:
has just won the prestigious Japanese Championship.
Katja Sophie Spillum from Norway
was European Champion in 2002.
Tore Fredriksen writes:
Katja Spillum Svendsen (Norway),
Akiko Abe (Japan),
Mary Hickey writes:
I didn't plan to comment on this thread, but the omission of my good
is bothering me enough that I have to speak up. I don't know if she'd
care to be interviewed, but if you want to find her, she's a member of
NEBC, home of so many excellent players.
L Rubin writes:
I suppose you weren't around the backgammon world when Nancy Weichsel,
Lili Gross, Katie Scalamandre and Lynn Goldsmith, all from the USA, were
the top women experts in the world. They are all still around and still
beautiful and talented.
- Backgammon computers (Graham Bayne+, Mar 2005)
- Backgammon in famous paintings (Dan Scoones, Mar 2000)
- Backgammon versus poker (Peter Hallberg, June 2006)
- Backgammon's popularity (Anon+, Sept 2003)
- Board orientation (Daniel Murphy, Mar 1999)
- Calculation versus instinct (Kit Woolsey, Jan 1998)
- Checker play versus cube play (Gregg Cattanach, Oct 2004)
- Checker play versus cube play (David Montgomery, Jan 1998)
- Copying positions from books (Stick+, Nov 2005)
- Famous people who play (Carem Wiklicm+, Dec 2002)
- Free lesson (Donald Kahn, Apr 1999)
- General tips (Hank Youngerman, Aug 1998)
- Giants of Backgammon list (Raccoon+, Mar 2006)
- Handicapping (Kees van den Doel+, Aug 2003)
- Handicapping (flash, Aug 1998)
- Handicapping--Pass or pick a roll (Michael J. Zehr, Dec 1997)
- Handicapping--Rerolling 5-4 (Mary Hickey, Feb 2004)
- How bots rate you (Phil Simborg, Mar 2010)
- Initiatives by local clubs (Raccoon, Mar 2006)
- Is online gambling legal in the U.S.? (Chuck Bower+, June 2006)
- Maximizing earnings (Stanley E. Richards+, Oct 2005)
- Money management (Carly Robson+, Jan 2009)
- Money management (Gnoh Mon+, July 2004)
- Money management (Adam Stocks, Jan 2003)
- Money management and the Kelly Criterion (Stuart Thomson+, June 1999)
- Notation (Dean Gay, Feb 2000)
- Notation (Kit Woolsey, July 1995)
- Position cards (Francois Hochede, Jan 2004)
- Posted diagrams are scrunched up (Dale+, Sept 2000)
- Top women players (Tami+, Nov 2006)
- Typesetting backgammon (Jason Lee+, Apr 2006)
- What is Zbot? (Douglas Zare+, Dec 2003)
- What is backgammon? (David C. Oshel, Aug 1997)
- Why do people play for money? (Hank Youngerman+, Sept 2005)
- World Champions (John Bazigos, June 1994)
- rec.games.backgammon mini-FAQ (Daniel Murphy, Mar 1998)